What exactly can you expect when Red Hot Chili Peppers perform Wednesday at Petco Park?
That remains to be seen, since the San Diego show is only the second date on the Peppers’ 20-city U.S. stadium tour.
12:23 p.m. July 27, 2022Due to inaccurate information provided by the promoter of the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ concert at Petco Park tonight, the original version of this article incorrectly indicated that “each person” in each ticketholder’s party “must have their own ticket on their own mobile device before entering Petco Park.” There is no such requirement.
It is also the first U.S. stadium tour ever by the four-man Los Angeles band, which will celebrate its 40th anniversary next year. And it is the group’s first tour in almost 15 years with revitalized guitarist John Frusciante back in the lineup.
But if the Peppers’ world tour-opening June 4 performance in Spain and subsequent European shows are an accurate indication, fans can expect to hear between 16 and 19 songs over the course of about 100 minutes at Petco Park.
The veteran musician is sticking to drumming to create visual art pieces. He’ll be in Solana Beach this weekend for his latest gallery show.
The set list will very likely feature such favorites as “Give It Away,” “Dani California,” “Snow (Hey Oh),” “Under the Bridge” and “Scar Tissue.” At least five songs from the band’s new album, this year’s back-to-form “Unlimited Love,” will also be included. It remains to be seen if the Peppers preview any songs from their second album of 2022, “Return of the Dream Canteen,” which will be released Oct. 14.
Attendance will exceed 40,000 for the nearly sold-out show. It takes place the same night the San Diego Padres, who call Petco Park home, will be playing the Tigers at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
The concert here is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. with opening sets by Thundercat and Haim. Like the Peppers, both hail from Los Angeles. Whether either will one day also be voted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, as the Peppers were in 2012, remains to be seen.
In the meantime, here are 10 things to know before heading to Wednesday’s concert.
1. All gates at Petco Park will open at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and early arrival is encouraged. No re-entry will be allowed.
2. All tickets for the concert are digital and can be found in either the free MLB Ballpark app or the free Ticketmaster app. Each person in your party must have their own ticket on their own mobile device before entering Petco Park. Details on how to access or transfer your tickets are available online.
3. Concertgoers with tickets on the stadium field can enter at the Breezeway Gate at the intersection of Tony Gwynn Drive and L Street. All other open entrances are available for concertgoers with tickets for all other locations in the ballpark, including those with private suite tickets.
4. Pre-purchased parking passes at all Padres’ parking lots are sold out. Because parking in the area is extremely limited, the use of public transportation and ride-hailing is recommended. More information, including the San Diego Trolley and Coaster schedules.
5. More than 2,500 paid parking spaces will be available at the San Diego Convention Center and at the Bayfront Hilton garage on Harbor Drive. To access these two lots, use the Front Street exit from southbound Interstate
5.or the Cesar Chavez Parkway Exit from northbound.
6. No outside food or beverages are permitted, including water bottles and empty hydro-flasks.
7. No professional cameras are allowed.
8. No bags or backpacks are permitted, with the exception of single compartment bags measuring no more than 7 inches by 10 inches, and infant and medical bag
9. Petco Park is a cashless venue. Credit cards, Padres Pay, Google Pay and Apple Pay are accepted at all concessions locations within the ballpark.
10. Petco Park is a smoke-free facility. Use of tobacco, vaping and e-cigarettes is not allowed inside the stadium. Designated smoking areas will be available at each main gate.
Four more full-stadium concerts are scheduled at Petco Park this year. Unless otherwise indicated Tickets are available.